Concealed in Death - J.D. Robb

Summary:

Leading the demolition of a long-empty New York building that once housed a makeshift shelter for troubled teenagers, Lieutenant Eve Dallas’s husband uncovers two skeletons wrapped in plastic. And by the time Eve’s done with the crime scene, there are twelve murders to be solved.

The victims are all young girls. A tattooed tough girl who dealt in illegal drugs. The runaway daughter of a pair of well-to-do doctors. They all had their stories. And they all lost their chance for a better life.

Then Eve discovers a connection between the victims and someone she knows. And she grows even more determined to reveal the secrets of the place that was called The Sanctuary—and the evil concealed in one human heart.

Review:

After the disappointing Thankless in Death, I took a break from the series. I was burnt out on serial killers and there was not much police work going on in that book. With Concealed, all I can say is "Welcome Back JD....I missed you!"

What set apart this serial killer-ish murderer from the last is that the motivation for the killings was much deeper and I liked the cold-case file aspect of the story. There was not over the top chase scenes or final police operation/sting that usually ends an ...In Death book. It was a very quiet and sad ending, but one that fit this case; for me it was satisfying, but I can see how Eve Dallas and other readers may have wanted more from the villain.

I like seeing more of Mavis in this book - her part in the story has given her character more weight and she has come a far distance from the flighty BFF of Eve's in those early books. I also like that the cast of characters for the mystery parts of the book stayed in the single digits; sometimes these stories get carried away with the amount of potential villains.

Overall, I didn't want to put this book down. It was a quieter book than the last few, but the quiet suited the story rather than muted it. 4 stars.

Random Observation:

Happy 20th Anniversary to the ...In Death series and JD Robb/Nora Roberts!