The Lady Always Wins - Courtney Milan

Summary:

Railway financier Simon Davenant has waited seven years for a second chance with his childhood sweetheart and best friend. He's not about to let his impending financial ruin destroy the opportunity.

This time, he'll do anything he can to secure her hand in marriage--even if it means losing her heart for good.

The Lady Always Wins is a short story of 18,500 words (about 60 print pages). It was previously published in the anthology "Three Weddings and a Murder."

Review:

This was a Courtney Milan book, ergo I had higher than usual standards going into this book. Unfortunately, a douchebag hero brought this book down a star. I really loved Ginny (the heroine), especially as she was a widow so I didn't have to deal with "omg! her purity must be intact no matter what!" motivation. Ginny was also whip-smart and funny. She could do so much better than Simon. But the story and the writing also made me root for them as a couple despite my dislike of the hero. Ms. Milan threw down some tasty, chewy bits about class and poverty that was central to the internal conflict between Ginny and Simon. 3 solid stars, but maybe more hardcore Milan fans would rate it higher.