Our Little Secrets  - Merry Farmer

Summary:

Michael West swore he would never fall in love again. So when the beautiful and wily Charlotte steps off the train looking for a new life he jumps at the business opportunity she presents. Engaged forty-five minutes after meeting, married the next day, Michael thinks he’s found everything a respectable man should have. Except that Michael is as far from respectable as they come. They agreed not to ask questions about each other’s pasts, but when the past seeps into their present Michael suspects his passionate new wife is not who she says she is. Too bad he’s already fallen in love with her.

Charlotte Baldwin has a secret. She fled Philadelphia to escape the sins of her past but someone is following her. What better way to hide than by marrying Michael West, Cold Springs, Montana’s enigmatic shopkeeper? A new name, a new life, and a passionate husband is exactly what she needs to leave her sins behind. But when it comes to keeping secrets Charlotte may have met her match in Michael. When a connection neither of them expects catches up with them, the shocking revelation means Charlotte may have run right into the arms of her enemy.

No sin stays a secret forever….

Review:

Stayed up until 1 am finishing this book. This is another Montana Romance series book, but the first I read that was full-length.  To enjoy this book, you have to suspend your disbelief at some of the coincidences that need to happen for the book to work out.

I really liked how the author does not isolate the hero and heroine; they each had friends to confide in as well as each other. Those friends/side characters helped to make this story really good. It seemed "sequel bait" with Phineas having so much screen time in the beginning of Charlotte and Michael's story, but by the end of the story I felt that Phineas needed to be in the story. Ditto for Christian, Eric, and Delilah.

The plot slowed down in the middle to allow more character development, but the last quarter of the book was all high octane action. Michael is a wonderful beta hero; he may seem like a wimp and doormat when his father blows into town, but after a childhood filled with emotional and verbal abuse, I can see why Michael acts the way he does. Charlotte is sweet, funny, and smart - get her dander up and she is a spitfire! I figured early on where the diamonds were hidden but I was in no hurry for the characters to figure it out. I skimmed the sex scenes, but no purple prose was to be found.

On a side note: I want to read Phineas' story so much, even though I don't normally read m/m - Phineas deserves his HEA! Definitely going on wish list and when the TBR pile goes down some, I am picking it up. I will probably pick up the other characters' stories as well. I have had such a great time reading the Montana Romance series (FYI: fully completed series - last book published in 2014).

4 stars.