Summer has arrived. We are working our way through this challenge and are in the midst of a summer reading program at the base library. This is in addition to our weekly trip to the library for story time. June's achievements are in bold, along with the book and Mommy's commentary.

Here are the Reading Challenge's Categories:

1. 1. Read in a tent.
  2. 2. Read a book about wild animals.
  3. 3. Read a book in the bath.
  4. 4. Read a book under a tree.
  5. 5. Read a book about a city far away.
  6. 6. Read at dinner.
  7. 7. Read a magazine.
  8. 8. Read as a family.
  9. 9. Read a book about your country (US or England).
  10.    - B is for Big Ben: An England Alphabet by Pamela Duncan Edwards and Melanie Rose
  11.      There is a lot more to this book then just a naming English places and people according to the alphabet. On each side of the beautiful illustrated pictures is a longer explanation of the history or culture significance of the place, person, or idea. Great book to read aloud to children of different ages/reading levels/attention spans.

- G is for Golden: A California Alphabet by David Domeniconi and Pam Carroll

By the same publisher so there is the more than just naming people and places according to the alphabet. Made the kids and me very homesick for California.

2. 10. Read in a blanket fort.
  3.      - The Midnight Library by Kazuno Kohara
  4.      - The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
  5.      Sunday, June 28th was a wet and cold day, which made it perfect for our blanket fort. In addition to the two books for this category, we also read other books and sang some songs the kids learned at story time.
  6. 11. Read a book about friendship.
  7.       - Ivy & Bean (Ivy & Bean #1) by Annie Barrows and Sophie Blackall
  8.         The character of Bean is a brat (Mommy's opinion); the character of Bean is cool (son's opinion). It took a couple of chapters for my son to warm up to this book, but once he got the hang of it (including mommy's use of different voices for each character), he dug this story.
  9. 12. Read a comic book.
  10. 13. Read at the park.
  11. 14. Read a book about art.
  12. 15. Read a book that makes your laugh.
  13. 16. Read a book with a flashlight.

17. Read a book about a pet.

1. 18. Read at the beach.
  2. 19. Read a book about space.
  3. 20. Read a book in a funny accent.
  4. 21. Read a book while having ice cream.
  5. 22. Read a book then act it out.
  6. 25. Read a book and capture it on video.
  7. 26. Read a biography.
  8. 27. Read a book with chapters.
  9. 28. Read a book about bugs.
  10.        - An Inside Look: The World of Insect Life by Gerald Legg
  11.          More academic resource than a fun book for toddler/preschool kids.
  12. 29. Read a book without any words.
  13. 30. Read an alphabet book.
  14.       - Professor Whiskerton Presents: Steampunk ABC by Lisa Falkenstern
  15.         A lot of fun and such a cute book. Highly recommend for toddlers.
  16. 31. Read a pop up book
  17. 32. Read at breakfast.
  18. 33. Read a book you wrote yourself.
  19. 34. Read an e-book.
  20. 35. Read all summer long (106 days [Memorial Day May 25, 2015 - Labor Day September 7, 2015]) - 37 days done.