Call the Midwife: Shadows of the Workhouse - Jennifer Worth

I am a little over 1/3rd of the book and its breaking my heart. The first volume was so much fluffy and light-hearted, focusing on bringing life into the world. This volume is about surviving a hard childhood - harder than we in the 21st century can't even begin to imagine. I checked on and kissed my (sleeping) children a few times last night while reading the book. If you read this book, you need a box of tissues ready to go. You don't have to have read the first book to read this volume - it is very self contained, and I like the organization of this book better. Rather than a series of rambling scenes and incidents, volume 2 is organized into three big storylines that dealt with aging and dying (a topic further explored in Worth's fourth memoir). The storylines from this book that made it to the show are much more satisfying in print than the show - like eating a four course meal and eating an appetizer. I felt that the show cheated these characters when they producers omitted huge swaths of their history in order to keep the show light and fluffy.

Trigger Warning: child abuse (physical, emotional, mental, spiritual), child sexual abuse, brother-sister incest