In the Pink: How I Met the Perfect (Younger) Man, Survived Breast Cancer, and Found True Happiness After 40 - Susan McBride

This is a short memoir of breast cancer survivor Susan McBride. I really enjoyed reading her very honest retelling of the seven years (41-48 years of age) of what she and her mom called "feast or famine" - Susan meeting Ed (15 years her senior), getting the diagnosis and her treatment, marrying Ed, writing throughout all the ups and downs in her personal life, her miscarriage, her mom's and aunt's breast cancer diagnosis, and her surprise pregnancy at the age of 47 (successfully completed with the birth of a daughter named Emily). While she remained upbeat, she did note that she had better days than other days. She also mentioned how different doctors responded and treated her, which I find realistic as I went through countless doctors on my way to an epilepsy diagnosis. Sometimes, patients and doctors just don't see eye to eye and that is okay; but in the end, it is the patient's body and his/her decision.

The title of the post is Susan's recollection of what another survivor told her about the after effects of going through cancer and surviving.

I just wished Susan went into a little detail about her particular form of breast cancer and that of her family members' forms as it would be more enlightening and make more sense of their varied treatments, which she tended to focus on. 4 stars.