You Suck - Christopher Moore Sense and Sensibility  - Jane Austen The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood Battle Of The Network Zombies - Mark Henry The Winter People - Jennifer McMahon The ABC's of Fiction Writing - Ann Copeland Undaunted: The Real Story of America's Servicewomen in Today's Military - Tanya Biank Sound Off!: American Military Women Speak Out - Carl J. Schneider, Dorothy Schneider Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield - Gayle Tzemach Lemmon

Husband has been home for exactly one week. Yesterday he told me to get lost for a while and he was going to watch the kids. I had to run a few errands on base anyway, so I went to the library. Normally, Thursday is library day as that is when Story Time is held for the little ones; after that we get books for the kids. I never get the chance to just browse through the adult section of the library because the kids get antsy.

Two hours later, I have a list of books I want to borrow and nine books in the bag to take home. Our base library has a 50 item limit and a 3 week loan period, but I restrained myself and only got these nine books. The books for this 3 weeks are a mix of Halloween stories and readings for Remembrance Day/Veterans' Day.

Fiction:

1. You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore. The blurb made the book seem different than typical paranormal romances, which the way my reading is going this month, is a VERY good thing.

2. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. My personal reading challenge continues with S&S. I purposely picked the copy that did not have the movie/tv series cover on it. Plus the library copy I borrowed is beautifully bound with a ribbon bookmark attached.  Waiting until November 1st to dive into this one.

3. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Because Obsidian Death/Obsidian Blue's status updates and reviews made me rethink my aversion to all things spec fiction. Definitely a Halloween/scary story.

4. Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral Series #3) by Mark Henry. So damn excited for this one I am going to start it tonight. Paranormal beings on a reality tv show. Unfortunately, the library didn't have the first two in the series, but if this book lives up to my expectations, then I will seek the other books out in different arenas.

5. The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon. From the jacket blurb, looks to be a creepy, psychological thriller. Yes please.

Non-fiction:

6. The ABC's of Writing Fiction by Ann Copeland. For my on-going preparations for my first NaNoWriMo. I am most assuredly a planner, judging by my notebook full of notes, outlines, and character sketches. Hopefully, I can get past the planner phase and into the actual writing phase.

7. Undaunted: The Real Story of America's Servicewomen in Today's Military by Tanya Biank. This has been on my wish list for a while. Women make up 14 percent of active-duty US military forces (and I swear that number is higher in the Air Force) and since 9/11, 250,000+ have served in Iraq (such as myself) and have served/still serving/will be serving in Afghanistan. I'm tempering my excitement for this one as I read on the book jacket that this author also penned Army Wives.

8. Sound Off! American Military Women Speak Out by Dorothy and Carl Schneider. A look at the women who served prior to my enlistment, so I thought it might be a good companion to number 7. It may be a little outdated, as the cover includes a blurb that reads "Including Operation Desert Storm" on the front.

9. Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon. I remember seeing this author on either the Daily Show (Jon Stewart was still hosting) or the Colbert Report, promoting the book and wanting to read it. Another wish list item filled at the library.

I saved $130.89 by going to the library for eight books (there was no price on the Jane Austen book). Sweet!

*bookish meme created by Moonlight Reader