Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling Jambusters: The Story of the Women's Institute in the Second World War - Julie Summers

I took a day out with a friend to do some shopping in Bury St Edmunds and walked away with two books from Waterstone's.

1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling. I picked up this book as I plan on reading (for the first time) the series starting in January.

2. Jam Busters: The Story of the Women's Institute in the Second World War by Julie Summers. A non-fiction book about women whose work for the war effort was more in the domestic sphere rather than in military service or code breakers. I like that I have a mix of women's history (specifically, British women's history); it helps show that there were a myriad of ways women helped using their skills and talents.

Jam Busters was one of the titles in Waterstone's "Books for Syria" program - the publishers donate the books for free to Waterstone's and the price you pay goes directly to fund Oxfam's work in Syria. I wasn't going to just buy a book in this program - I wanted to only if a book was something I would be interested in even if the book wasn't in the program. I lucked out and was able to find a book I am interested in and got to participate in the program.