The Duchess War - Courtney Milan

Such a good book I skipped doing the dishes all day and only stopped reading long enough to pay attention to the kids' needs. At the end, when I closed my NOOK, there was much happy book noise coming from me. This morning after breakfast I started the next book, wanting to continue the Milan high.

This book was angsty and character driven, so some readers found the book slow in parts. I did not but that is because it was not repetitive; the cause of each MC's angsty was revealed slowly, like peeling away layers of an onion. There was a lot of introductions to characters that get their own story in the series, but not too many that I needed a flow chart to remember them all. Besides the MCs (Minnie and Robert), I really liked Sebastian, Lydia, and Oliver. I liked the sex scenes between the two MC virgins, who knew enough about their individuals likes/dislikes (via masturbation on both their counts) to help each other come together.

Much like in other works by Milan, the book touches on some heavy subjects using a deft hand and well-researched. For this book, social anxiety and panic attacks, the debate of science vs. religion, and workers' rights to unionize vs. manufacturing owners, all taking place in Leichester rather than London. It was a nice break from all the pretty ballroom scenes of the beau monde.

The page count of my NOOK book was a little high due to the excerpts for other books in the series, which I skipped since I have those books in the TBR pile to read this summer and into fall.