Courtney Milan Challenge (4/7 books in series read; 70% of challenge completed)
1. The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister #2) - 5 stars
Regency Box Set
2. His Jilted Bride (Banks Brothers Brides #3) by Rose Gordon - currently reading
Non-Fiction Challenge (22/50, 44% of challenge completed)
3. Flash Boys by Michael Lewis - 5 stars
4. Missoula by Jon Krakaur - 5 stars
5. High Tech Trash by Elizabeth Grossman - 2 stars
6. Bad Money by Kevin Phillips - DNF
7. The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis - 5 stars
7. Easter 1916 - Read chapters 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 (55% completed)
8. At the Duke's Wedding (Anthology) by Various Authors (50% completed)
9. Summer Rain (Anthology) by Various Authors - DNF
LGBTQ+ Cultural and Heritage Month (US observation)
10. Fun Home by Alison Bechdel - 3 stars
11. Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel - 0 stars
*Loving Day - June 12th
12. Let It Shine by Alyssa Cole - 4 stars
TBR Pile Read Down
13. The Bride Wore Blue (Brides of Bath #1) by Cheryl Bolen - DNF
14. If the Shoe Kills (Tourist Trap Mystery #3) by Lynn Cahoon - 4 stars
15. That Scandalous Summer (Rules of the Reckless #1) by Meredith Duran - 1 star
16. Summer of Dreams (From this Moment On novella) by Elizabeth Camden - 2 stars
17. That Summer in Cornwall by Ciji Ware - DNF
18. Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (Summer Bingo) - 0 stars
19. The Giver (The Giver Quartet #1) by Lois Lowry (Summer Bingo) - 4 stars
20. Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson (Summer Bingo) - 4 stars
21. Side Effects by Amy Goldman Koss - 4 stars
22. Dressed to Kill (Tourist Trap Mystery #4) by Lynn Cahoon - 4 stars
23. Superman/Wonder Woman, Volume 1: Power Couple by Charles Soule and Tony S. Daniel - 4 stars
COYER Summer Vacation Challenge started June 18th.
Moonlight Reader's Summer Bingo Challenge
DoD Summer Reading Program started June 20th.
Reading Challenge: 88 out of 150 books (58% completed)
# non-fiction books: 4
# fiction books: 11
# DNF: 4
average total rating: 3.7
average non-fiction rating: 4.25 stars
average fiction rating: 3.2
Getting better at hitting the DNF button. For the most part, those extra books for the bingo came in handy for bumping up the rating and giving me some enjoyable reading hours. Thanks Moonlight Reader for making me broaden my reading horizons :) !
Romance genre (save for Milan and Cole) didn't show me any love this month. I'm so tired of inaccurate historical details and NA characters in ball gowns. And as usual, contemporary romance failed me, with half of my DNFs coming from that genre.
Thankfully, I have cozy mysteries to keep turning pages. And the Apple settlement credit to my NOOK account helped keep me in cozy mysteries into the autumn months. YA and MG books helped to turn pages too. I found the other three books in The Giver Quartet on Overdrive, so I will probably work through the series next year. Not sure if I am up to seeing the movie though.
Non-fiction this month was great, just falling further behind on my goal of 50 non-fiction books for the year. I will be working through Lewis' and Krakaur's backlists next year. Biggest accomplishment this month is getting to the halfway mark on the historical account of the Easter Uprising of 1916 after not touching the book since the end of March.
The month of July includes one of my favorite holidays (Happy Independence Day to my American BL friends! Happy Getting Rid of Those Pesky Colonists Day to my British BL friends!) and two family trips (one to LEGOLAND, one to Brighton), so I am very excited to get some reading done while sunning myself on a beach or near a pool (June was straight up soggy as hell).