The Giver - Lois Lowry

Quick sci-fi/dystopian book for summer book bingo. I am not usually in the mood for sci-fi, but figured I give this book a shot. I'm glad I did. The world building was creepy, as in I could see a future society built like the one in the book.

I really liked Jonas and his friends, Fiona and Asher - more importantly, I like the way their relationships changed once they were in their job assignment training; I think my enjoyment was seeing the changes on the page rather than being told the relationships change.. The parents were practically robots, the kid sister was your basic plot moppet, and The Giver was great. To a certain extent, Gabe is also a plot moppet, but more important to the story than Lily and her nemesis, hair ribbons.

Someone could have warned me about the situation with Jonas' father and the twins. I read that part right before I left to take friends to Heathrow. That was a long ride back to think about that scene....

I am really glad I finally filled in another gap in my childhood reading collection. I never had this book assigned to me in school (or Lowry's other big book, Number the Stars). Can't wait for my kids to be mature enough to read this, as I think our dinner time conversations are going to be very interesting.

I skipped the bonus material with interviews from three cast members of the upcoming movie.

4 stars. Summer bingo square "Space Opera or other sci-fi."