Review: Vision Volume 1: A Little Worse Than a Man by Tom King, et al

Vision Vol. 1 - Gabriel Hernandez Walta, Tom King

Fills in Reads with Friends Square

This trade holds the first six issues of Tom King's 2015 series The Visions. I was only familiar with Vision from the Avengers: Age of Ultron movie, and honestly I only half-watched the movie.

This series takes place after Vision semi-retires from the Avengers and goes to work for the White House as liaison between the Avengers and the WH. He built himself a family (literally) and they settled into a suburb of Washington, DC. They aren't welcomed with the warmest hugs by the community, but they try their hardest to fit in. The kids, Viv and Vin, attend a local high school. There was a lot of bigoted actions and words thrown at the Visions, but they press on until trouble comes in the form of the Grim Reaper.

My favorite character was Viv. She was not a stereotypical teen character, but she was young and seeking to find herself, like most teens. She has feelings for her family, but can get into competitive mode against her brother. I loved the panels with her and CK talking. Viv broke my heart a couple of times. Virginia seemed to not enjoy life in the suburbs (anger issues), but damn she knew how to protect her family if called upon to do so. Vin was okay and so was Vision.

The stories touch on a variety of topics: bigots, privacy in the age of cellphones, zero-tolerance school policies, and police profiling. Yet the storytelling wasn't preachy at all. The art was okay; I felt it was a bit repetitive and not as sharp as it should be to compliment the story. Overall, it was a lot of fun to read and I might pick up issues 7-10 in the near future just to see how the story arc plays out.