Maus I and II (boxed set) - Art Spiegelman

I have been meaning to get around to reading Maus but could never find the time or the space to do so. Luckily my library has both books and the book recommendation book by the librarian I had read earlier this month named Maus as a book that all librarians should read/recommend to patrons, and the time and place for reading was now and for the Pop Sugar challenge (each book filled one prompt).

I really liked the stark artwork and how the story was told via mice (Jews), cats (Germans), pigs (Poles), and frogs (French). There are two stories within Maus: the story of Spiegelman's father and mother going through the Holocaust and the story of Spiegelman and his father learning about each other and how to deal with conflict in their relationship. I didn't see any reason for Spiegelman's wife to be in the story in the second book - she didn't have any insight and was used as mainly a back up for when Spiegelman had a fight with his dad. By the end of the story, I think Spiegelman grew close with his dad after knowing what his parents' went through but was not quite at the complete understanding of what that kind of trauma formed the father he knew and the lingering issues that crept up in his life later.