When Summer Comes (Whiskey Creek #3) by Brenda Novak

When Summer Comes - Brenda Novak

There wasn't much to Callie's character in the previous books, so I went in with only the reference that she was a bit of shallow gossip from the one or two scenes she was featured in the last book. Luckily, she has a lot more going for her personality wise here; she is a professional photographer who enjoys taking photos of weddings and other pedestrian life events rather than try to make "art", only child of doting parents, and a good friend especially to Baxter. I really liked Callie and understood her need to not tell everyone about her diagnosis, as she was too busy physically, mentally, and emotionally dealing with it herself to also have to deal with loved ones' reactions. Callie is dying from non-alcoholic fatty liver and she won't make it through the summer if she doesn't find a donor.

In walks (limps) Levi McCloud, a vagabond who shows up on her door step in a world of hurt. Callie decides she needs to rescue him/nurse him back to health as a way of living life to its' fullest before she succumbs to her disease. Levi is an Afghanistan veteran who went into the military to escape an abusive home life. He has his motorcycle and does enough day labors to pay his way across the western part of the US. I liked Levi right off the bat and felt that Callie was in good company whenever he was around.

Unfortunately, like the previous book, the story suffers from the inclusion of Callie's asshole friends, save Cheyanne (heroine from the previous book) and Baxter. Kyle is still a MAJOR dickhead after screwing up his life so royally in the prequel to the series and I wanted to slap the hell out of him. The only good thing that involved Kyle was the tidbit that Olivia and Brandon (couple from the prequel) got married and Kyle has to deal with his "one true love" that he cheated on with her sister at all family get-togethers as his step-sister-in-law. Serves his ass right. Eve has been wrong enough times about her friends' decisions on relationships that she really just needs to STFU already. Thankfully most of the time Baxter was the friend Callie called on and had a meaningful friendship with; and it was nice to see Dylan and Chey going strong together. Little scenes mean a lot in small town contemporary romance.

Still a good reading time was had and I look forward to the next book in the series.