So far, I have read two books off the list: Last of the President's Men by Bob Woodward and Playing with Fire: The 1968 Election and the Transformation of American Politics by Lawrence O'Donnell. I got lucky and found in really good condition a copy of All the President's Men by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward in the free book swap area of my library.
Next up is getting to 1968 by Mark Kurlansky and The Making of a President 1972 by Theodore White. This will set me up to reading about Watergate during the summer and giving me time to tackle Shadow from September to December.
Inspired by the podcasts Slow Burn (season one) from Slate and Bagman by Rachel Maddow, I decided to do a deep dive into the Nixon administration, specifically Watergate. I already read the Nixon/Ford section of Clint Hill's Five Presidents just to get my feet wet. I may not get to all of these, but I hope to read enough to have a good grasp on what happened.
My Nixon Reading List:
1. 1968: The Year that Rocked the World by Mark Kurlansky
2. Playing with Fire: The 1968 Election and the Transformation of American Politics by Lawrence O'Donnell (Read March 2019)
3. The Making of a President 1972 by Theodore White
4. Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America by Rick Perlstein
5. All the President's Men by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward
6. Last of the President's Men by Bob Woodward (Read January 2019)
7. The Nixon Defense: What He Knew and When He Knew It by John Dean
8. Breach of Faith: The Fall of Nixon by Theodore White
9. Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate by Bob Woodward
10. The Nixon Tapes 1971-1972 by Douglas Brinkley and Luke Nichter